Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Devil is in the Details


My trip has been arranged through IFRE (Institute for Field Research Expeditions). They offer volunteer abroad trips in a dozen or so countries. IFRE placed me at Eugemot Orphanage, in Kolenu, a small village in the Hohoe (pronounced "ho-ho-we") District in the Volta region of Eastern Ghana. There are about 50 children living at Eugemot, from infants to teens. There is a school on-site, and teaching there will be my main responsibility.

I leave on May 18th and return July 23rd. My project begins with an intensive one-week language and cultural immersion program in the capital, Accra. Although Ghana's national language is English, most Ghanaians speak Twi (pronounced "tree", Ewe, and/or Ga. I will be living in a rural area, where these languages will be more prevalent, so I'm excited that I get the chance to get a head start on learning the important terms. From July 9th until I leave, I plan on exploring the country and, with any luck, visiting Sara in Egypt.

So that's the plan this far!

No comments: