Thursday, June 21, 2007

Food for Peace

6/15 - At about 7 pm, a semi-truck drove by the orphange, it's bright orange light illuminating the whole place. Immediately, the kids were running towards it, jumping and screaming. I had no idea what was going on, and it took a few minutes before I was clued in by Mercy. Everyone gathered around to supervise the delivery. The truck carried 50 bags (totalling over 2,755 pounds) of flour, corn meal, and sorghum grits and 60 5-gallon drums of vegetable oil. The food was arriving via USAID from the United States.

As the younger children danced around and the older kids began unloading the food, I felt a feeling I haven't felt in a long, long time. Maybe since September 11, 2001. Not exactly patriotism, but not that far off. I didn't feel ashamed to come from the U.S. It was nice to be able to feel proud of where I come from instead of embarrassed, even if it didn't last long. It was a really nice moment. Thank you.

1 comment:

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.