Friday, June 8, 2007

Long Time, No Shower

This is almost funny. I'm bored. Yeah, I'm sitting halfway around the world in Africa and I'm BORED. I've read all three of my novels through twice. Thank goodness they were all incredibily interesting, otherwise I surely would of died by now. The Timetraveler's Wife, Wicked, and Running With Scissors, just in case you were interested. I wish I'd brought the entirety of the Harry Potter series with me. I've also completed 30 some-odd Sudoku puzzles since Tuesday. So what's the deal?

I wake up every morning, between 5 and 7, eat breakfast, and fiddle around until 8, when school starts. I teach for an hour or two, then I head back to my room for a break, then lunch. Sometimes I teach more in the afternoon, but sometimes not. Maybe I'll teach for another hour (maybe 2) in the afternoon, but not matter what, I'm done by 3:30. If I'm not teaching from the hours of 8-3:30, all the kids are busy with school stuff and I'm on my own. Most of the adults on site either teach or cook, so they've got work to do. Not that they're especially chatty anyway.

So I hang out in my room, read, do puzzles, write in my journal, groom, plan lessons, maybe walk around. You may find it of note that despite all my free time this week, I "showered" only Monday and Friday (today). That's a big space in the middle there. I know, I know: you're impressed. Who can blame you? I can explain though, it's been raining a lot off and on, and showering in the rain just seems kind of silly to me, so I've just refrained. Until this morning. You have to draw the line somewhere, right? And I suppose my line is 5 days.

5 comments:

Dennis said...

More! The lame peons from America want more!

Odd that you don't have more to do.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dennis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I definitely went about 4 days without showering at Ve Deme more than once. I didn't spend much time in my room though, I did a lot of walking around - And the kids would always come and find me within half an hour or so, no matter how far I'd walked. I really miss that place...