Thursday, June 21, 2007

"Hey, White Person!"

6/16 - I have decided to go on a walk to the nearby village of Ve-Deme, so I go out to insist to Grandma that I do indeed want to go on a walk, no I'm not going anywhere in particular, no I don't want one of the older boys to accompany me, etc. Walking for the sake of walking here is pretty much grounds for being thrown in the loony bin. But I wanted to see the village before I left. Also, I haven't been sleeping well at night and I was hoping to tire myself out before bed.

So I depart. The hills and cliffs surrounding the village are breathtakingly gorgeous and I immediately regret not bringing my camera along. I can't ever think of a time when I've regretted bringing my camera along with me, here or back home. You'd think I'd learn to just have it with me always. Anyways, I walked for about 50 minutes total, arriving back at Volta Home just before dark.

The walk was pleasant enough, but it kind of depressed me. Everywhere I go here, I am remarkable. Children, adults, dogs, even the goats and chickens take notice when I walk by. I enjoy being inconspicuous at home, but that is impossible here. Everyone I walk by makes noise at me. The constant attention is so tiring, so draining.

It made me wonder if there is anything similar to this occurrence back home. Black skin is common enough that it need not be commented on, though who would yell out "Hey, you! Black person!" aside from the stray 3-year old with incredibly embarrassed parents. Maybe a little person would draw as much attention, but American society dictates that we at least attempt not to stare and we certainly don't follow them down the street shouting "Dwarf! Hey Dwarf!"

"Obruni."

"Yovo."

"Obollo."

I would be happy not hear these words for a long, long time.

3 comments:

DeeDee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tim said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Barb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.