Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I have landed... and been here for 4 days

I write this from Teshi Camp 2, outside Accra proper. I won't write much today, I don't think: just an update. I arrived with no problems at all (nice, since I was expecting some). I went and did touristy things in Accra yesterday with a guide, Adom, and Catherine & Joseph, two other volunteers. Saw the National Museum (photos - maybe - on flickr today or at least soon), Kwame Nkrumeh Memorial Park (first president of Ghana), Makola Market, and the Arts Center. All of these were on "the list," so I'm doing good. Today we are supposed to go in to town again, hopefully to see W.E.B DuBois' gravesite & the museum there. This weekend we (C, J & I) hope to travel to Cape Coast & Kakum, also on "the list." I am learning Ewe (ay-way) and enjoying it so far - it's got some difficult sounds, but many of the words just "make sense" to me.

I rode a tro-tro for the first time today, which is basically a big van that carries people from place to place. More about those later. It's all written in my journal, so it'll eventually get here, even if it's August before that happens.

Everything is so laid back around here, yet town is so hectic.. more later.

Gotta go, my ride is here to take us to Accra.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome
I hope that you have the best experience while you are there. I'm incredibly jealous. Do great things. BTW super proud of you for finishing your degree and all that